How Many Miles Do Tires Last?
According to the experts, how many miles tires should last can vary wildly depending upon your driving style and where you’re driving. On average, however, your tires should last you about 50,000 miles on Columbia streets. Read on to learn about all the factors that can affect how long tires last, and then get in touch with Honda of Columbia for tire replacement in Lexington.
What Factors Affect Tires Life Expectancy?
The answer to “how many miles should tires last?” may be around 50,000 miles on Irmo streets, but the answer to “how many miles do tires last?” varies dramatically depending on a long list of factors:
- Type of tire: All-season tires tend to last longer. High-performance tires tend to be more tractable, but if you drive the way they were designed to be driven (with enthusiasm), they’ll wear faster.
- Treadwear rating: Your tires will be marked with a treadwear rating that indicates how long it can be driven for.
- Drivetrain: Tires wear differently on front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive vehicles, because of where the main power for forward motion comes from.
- Road conditions: Do you regularly drive on county roads with gravel? How about on salt, ice, and snow? Do you do a lot of off-road driving? If so, your tires are taking a great beating.
- Driving habits: If you have a tendency to accelerate really quickly or brake really hard, you’re beating up your tires. Try accelerating gradually or coasting to a stop.
Tire Care Tips For Long-Lasting Tires
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Over-inflated and under-inflated tires will wear faster.
- Rotate your tires so they wear evenly. This ensures that if one tire is wearing faster than the other, it won’t shrink faster and take more of the vehicle weight.
- Lastly, keep up your maintenance schedule, so we can field for problems that might wear your tires out faster.
Let Honda of Columbia Help You Stay on Top of Tire Replacement
The difference between how many miles tires should last and how many miles tires do last can vary greatly. If West Columbia drivers are still unsure of where your tires are at, don’t hesitate to give Honda of Columbia a call at 803-799-1080. We’ll inspect your tires, and if you do need tire replacement, we’ll make sure you get quality in the right size. Have other questions about car care? Be sure to check out our service tips for other helpful reads about common car care issues like determining good mileage on a used car and more!